Over 80% of dogs and cats over age 3 have some degree of periodontal disease. Regular oral care is essential to maintaining good overall health to our pets. Daily teeth brushing is recommended, as well as regular professional cleanings.
The first step in our approach to dental cleanings is a preanesthetic blood screeen. A small blood sample is taken a few days prior to the appointment to make sure the pet is ready for anesthesia. On the day of the cleaning, we place an IV catheter so that supportive fluids can be administered during the procedure. This greatly enhances the safety of anesthesia. We also monitor ECG, blood pressure, end-tidal CO2, oxygenation level and body temperature continuously. A full oral exam is conducted once the pet is under anesthesia, including measuring gingival margins. Xrays are taken so that we can deal with all problems present, even those that are under the gumline. The teeth are scaled and polished, and then a fluoride treatment is applied.
Our Dental Package includes:
- Pre-anesthetic physical exam
- IV catheter and fluids
- Preanesthetic sedation, propofol induction, and sevoflurane anesthesia
- Anesthetic monitoring: blood pressure, ECG, end-tidal CO2, oxygenation level and body temperature
- Bair hugger patient warming system to maintain body temperature
- Full mouth digital dental xrays
- Oral exam, dental scaling, polishing, and fluoride application
Treatments such as extractions and medications are additional. We can estimate these costs at the time of the pets office visit.